Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Confessions of a Discouraged Runner



So I need to be brutely honest....I feel discouraged today.  I know I come off as having it all together most days, but i don't, I am just like you.  I just happen to be a fitness/health coach, but I have challenges and circumstances and negative thoughts come in to my head too.

Several years ago I took up running NOT because I had a heart for running, but because I was in a financial situation that no longer allowed me to have a Gym membership.  In 2008 we  brought home our daughter from Guatemala at the age of 8 moths, that following October, only 5 months after bringing her home, she was diagnosed with ALL Leukemia.  I no longer was able to maintain my gym membership as I was no longer able to work my real estate business as her care was pretty high maintenance at that time.  Being the group fitness junkie that I was, I decided to take up running and join a running group!  Now understand, I am a GROUP FITNESS Instructor, if I could dance all day, I would!  And dance with people...oh now that puts me in my permanent happy place, but I am NOT a natural born runner.  I can out dance most of my runner friends, probably even out squat them...but long distance running...not so much.  I had started putting on weight, I was frustrated and discouraged and I had to do something.  So running it was!

I remember when I first started, 4oo meters felt like 1 mile and I thought I would colapse.  I HATED every aspect of running, but I was committed.  I ran my first 5 k, then a 10 k and then a 25 k for the Make-A-Wish Foundation.  After that, I was totally hooked!

Who knew running could be so addictive?  Let me tell you why.  Running has become my time to "download" my mind.  That constant, consistent motion of running without having to think about my next move allows me to empty my mind, open my heart and hear from God.  It has become my outlet spiritually and physically.  I get more great ideas, spiritual fulfillment and endorphin power from my daily runs than anything else.

But today, I am discouraged...About a month ago, while running 10 miles in Michigan, my ankle became really sore, but I just kept running on it thinking I pulled a ligament or muscle. However, 2 weeks ago on my long run with Team in Training, I really struggled and my ankle appeared swollen, turns out, I was running on a stress fracture.  And now, I am on low impact exercise only which is not my thing, I'm bored with my workouts and I miss my runs.

So what's the bigger issue here?  On October 19th, my husband and I will run our very first Full Marathon in Denver!  Yes, me, the non-runner, Certified Group Fitness Instructor is registered to run a Full Marathon...but this time, not for me.  I am running for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society to help find a cure for all those blood disorders that end lives all to soon.  Because of LLS, my daughter's form of Leukemia had a 90% cure rate where 30 years ago, it would have been a "death sentence" in the medical world.  And here I am, with a stress fracture!

BUT, I know that is not God's will, I know this ankle is healed and I am receiving that healing and I am going to cross that finish line strong!  I just wanted to know that if you are struggling with a circumstance or situation, I understand.  I can appreciate all the emotions you are feeling including "feeling sorry for yourself". Know that those feelings are normal, just choose NOT to entertain them, because the minute you do, your going to go downhill and it's a lot harder to pull yourself up when your down.  Choose to look at what you can do knowing that it's temporary and that you will accomplish your goals and your dreams.  It's just an affliction, and you can overcome "all things in Christ who strengthens you".

How do you overcome discouragement?




 photo susiesig1_zps754ef943.jpg

No comments :

Post a Comment