Tuesday, September 2, 2014

5 Ways You Can BOOST Your Slowing Metabolism

The older we get, the slower our "furnace" burns.  Here are 5  ways to get your metabolism fired up and burning!


photo by womenslifestyle.com


1.  Water - Drink at least HALF your body weight in water.  Initially, I was a BIG Fountain Diet Coke drinker, learning to drink water was a challenge for me.  Because fountain drinks were my favorite, I purchased 4 large water bottles with a straw and I prepared them every evening, placed them in the refrigerator and my goal was to get through all 4 bottles by the end of the day, thus drinking my recommend water ounces.

2.  Lean Protein - Chicken, Ground Turkey, Tuna, Poultry, Fish, Bison, Elk, Egg White, Greek or Plain Yogurt and Cottage Cheese just to name a few.  Protein helps you to stay satisfied longer and is less likely to store in your body as fat.  It's important to eat 1 protein serving with every meal.

3.  Fiber - Ok, if your a Carb Junkie like I was, then I know your not getting enough fiber!  Fiber keeps you feeling fuller longer as well as assists in cleaning out your "plumbing".  Healthy Complex Carbohydrates are things like Oatmeal, wheat germ, bran, flaxseed.  Also Vegetables and Fruit are full of healthy fiber!  Just an FYI, if you love oatmeal, best time to have it is in the morning.  Sprinkle with slivered almonds  and blueberries to get your side of protein and fruit in as well. I also like to sweeten mine with a tsp of Agave and Cinnamon.

4.  Green Tea/Black Coffee - I know, you would rather hit the Starbuck's line...me too!  But the truth is, you need to save that for "treat" moments.  Our favorite Latte's are full of calories, sugar and imitation products.  Try your next cup of coffee black (on occasion or if needed, sweeten with almond milk creamer and stevia) and get easy to go Green Tea Packets.

5.  Hot Spices - Cayenne, Jalepeno and Habanero are considered "thermogenic", meaning they rev up and fuel your "furnace"...your metabolism.


 photo susiesig1_zps754ef943.jpg

No comments :

Post a Comment